I study the intersection of race, ethnicity and health and the role of social environmental factors such as social class, racial and spatial segregations, healthcare inequalities, cultural competency and systemic racism and how they contribute to health disparities. I also study corporate and community roles in health outcomes and health innovation. As a primarily qualitative researcher, my current work involves collecting stories of black women’s health stories (especially maternal health and patient/physician relationships) in North Carolina.
- Black Images in the Media
- African-Americans in Communication and Popular Culture
- Minority Images in Media
- African-American Contemporary Folklore
- Teaching Strategies utilizing Popular Culture
- Rap Music, Language, and Power
- Media Literacy